Friday, July 19, 2013

Lost in Translation

Something happened today that made me appreciate my small town that much more.
My mom and sister and I were peacefully unpacking a box in our garage when a commotion started up in the street.
A white van had stopped in the middle of our road and another car was behind it.  It seemed like the white van was waiting for the other car to pass it but that car was waiting for the white van to move.  Finally the white van moved and the other car pulled up into it's spot.  Once it was parked the driver got out of the car and started yelling at the driver of the white van obnoxiously loud, and the driver of the van started yelling back. "Learn how to drive!!" the car driver yelled, repeatedly.  The van driver was yelling back and I couldn't understand what they were saying. This went on for about 6 or 7 minutes, the continuous yelling, and then they both got into their cars, slammed the doors and drove off.
It was terrible how loud they were yelling, and the argument was finished with one person yelling, "Get out of our neighborhood!"
Now, if this had happened in our little town back in Wisconsin, it would have been so differently.  It would have went more like this...
The two cars pull up, the person in front engrossed in a phone call.
The car behind beeps politely, and the person in front waves and moves out of the way.
Once the car in front stops, the person behind the wheel steps out and hangs up her phone.  She motions for the car behind her to stop, and they do.  The other driver gets out of the car, walking up to the first driver.
The first driver walks up to the second and gives her a hug.
"I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there,"
"No really," the second says  "It's my fault,"
"No really, I should've been watching better, let me take you out for tea,"
"Well, if you say so, at least let me buy the scones then," the second says.
"OK, that sounds great. Come over to my house, say, around, 3?"
"Oh perfect, I'll be sure to get the scones."
"Great! See you later!"
They smile at each other and get into their cars and drive off.
California: 0
Small Wisconsin Town: 1


No comments:

Post a Comment