Saturday, July 6, 2013

California: for Better or Worse, but Mostly Better.

Today we are finally in California!!
Our goal was to make it here for my birthday, and we are one day early.
I might actually get to go surfing on my birthday!
Yeah, that's right. Be jealous.
Last night, when we got here at 6:30, it was 108 degrees, so Grace and I promptly jumped in the pool.
Today it's supposed to get up to 115 degrees and we have to drive across the Mohave Desert.
At least the air conditioning actually works now.  On our last trip out to California the AC didn't work.
Now, that was hot.
It's weird though, thinking we are going to be living out here now.
It still doesn't seem real. I mean, we've done long road trips like this before and I feel like we should be turning around soon and driving back to Viroqua, to our little house down in the valley.  We should be getting back and catching up on the garden, swimming in our little stream, and running through the woods.
But, honestly, I'm glad we're not.
I like it here.
I like the hot desert wind blowing endlessly across the plains.
I like the mountains, how small they make me feel.
I like having my whole family living in one house again.
I like being back where I was born.
I like our little house at the end of the street.
I like the woods that I can disappear into and completely forget that I am in the city.
I like the prospect of making new friends at the Waldorf School of Orange County.
I like having a change in my life. As much as I didn't want to go, as much as I cried, as much as I tried to hold on, it's a good thing I came to California.
Because even though I lost so much salt water out of my body, I don't have to worry. The ocean will keep me filled up.



No comments:

Post a Comment