Wednesday, January 8, 2014

This Late Hour

This short poem is a Shakespearean Sonnet.  A sonnet is a poem about a problem or conflict that is solved and resolved in the last six lines.
It is a 14 line poem.  The first 8 lines are the problem, the next 4 is a solution, and the last 2 are the resolution.
A sonnet is also written in a quatrain rhyme scheme with the last two lines in couplet.

This Late Hour
I envy her sleeping across the room,
Visions of sugarplums filling her head
And I am back here with this chilling doom.
I wish that I were sleeping in my bed.
The clock is ticking quickly now and my
Time's running out to finish and not fail.
It may be time for me to say good-bye,
Or I might just have to finally bail.
But wait, I might be able to finish,
I just have to think hard and then must hurry
And when, at last my mind does turn to rubbish,
I can say that I tried in such a flurry.
At last I escape this terrible fate,
And can fall into bed and close the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment