Sunday, January 26, 2014

Nothing lost but Lipstick

The music could have been better but the food was fantastic.
There was pineapple and melon and popcorn and chips and sandwiches. I'm still confused about why I was the only one eating the strawberries. They had a Snow-Cone machine and ice cream.  All for free.  How nice of dear Pasadena Waldorf High School.
That is where all the memories of my 9th & 10th grade Winter Formal are stored.  They are captured in moments of time and beats of a song.  They are ground into the dirt by the bouncing heels. They are spilled down the front steps like glitter and lost on the bus with my disappearing lipstick. They are happening again and again in alternate universes and I am overjoyed every time they play the song again.
I met a person named Quinn who had boundless energy and was from San Diego, introducing himself to us to "break the ice."  He reminded me of Patrick from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, except for the gay part--I met his girlfriend too.
A side note: If you haven't seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower, stop reading this immediately and go watch it.  If you're under 13, tell your parents first and then go watch it.  It is not a cheesy chick flick in the slightest and if you say you don't like it, we can no longer be friends.  I'm sorry.  And for all you movie vs. book critics out there, the movie is directed by the author, so whatever argument you think you have is no longer valid. (EOE, ZAM)
Anyways, Quinn and his girlfriend reminded me of Sam and Patrick in their shameless dancing and nonjudgmental character.  I seriously thought to myself that I would like to meet someone who I can be like that with when I grow up.  Who am I kidding-I'm never growing up.
The music drifted between dubstep and dubstep, with the occasional dubstep thrown in.  When they finally played something danceable they cut it off in the middle of the song.  In what universe does that make sense? The real question is, who rules that universe?
The bus ride on the way back was considerably less loud than the one on the way there, and this one was filled with the sharing of life stories.  (there is surprisingly a lot of information under the 'Life story' category for a 16 year old.)
Many hugs were exchanged when we reached the school, even though we would be seeing each other in less than 36 hours. A party can do that to people-The love is magnified.
I grew closer to the people I wanted to and the only thing I lost was my lipstick.
I met some people who renewed my faith in the teenage race and showed me we might have a chance of not destroying the world with our shallow attitudes.
And since I'm terrible at endings I'm just going to end this now.  Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment