Friday, April 1, 2016

Last Time

The last time you saw me my hair was still it’s natural blond and I still believed I could put off growing up forever.

The last time I saw you, you still adored big words, everything anyone said was a point to be debated.

The last time we saw each other I still thought the words ‘each other’ were one word, I still thought we were one word.

The last time you saw me, I was still who I thought I was, I was still adamant about things.

The last time I saw you it was still summertime, the sunlight was still thick enough to set your copper colored hair on fire.

The last time we saw each other we weren’t yet an almost.  We were the biggest almost I’ve ever had.  

The last time you saw me I was confused.  I was at sea.  You were a map that I couldn’t stop charting but our coordinates didn’t align.

The last time I saw you you were in love with me, so much so, you wished you had kissed me and I still don’t know what stopped you.  

The last time we saw each other we sat in a tea shop underneath an oyster sky and I watched you talk about the nature of time and place in a way that fascinated me endlessly.

The last time you saw me I had just been swimming in Lake Michigan, I was chilled to the bone and I felt the most zoetic.

The last time I saw you you, your hand barely left the space between the bottom of my shirt and the top of my pants, it continuously makes me smile that for all your big words and fantastical exclamations, you are still just a boy.  

The last time we saw each other we talked about big things, fragmented things, abstract things that in retrospect are hazy.  We drove through apricot city mist.  

The last time you saw me your voice in my hair reduced me to nothing more than skeleton ash and fiberglass lungs.  You make me intangible.  

The last time I saw you you scared me, you scared me because you are larger than the words we write and all day long I waited for something that wouldn’t happen.

The last time we saw each other we tried to outrun time, we roamed those streets so well it could have been our job.  

The last time you saw me so much had yet to happen.  I was at the sunrise of the sunset.  I was worried about all the wrong things.  

The last time I saw you you told me you loved me, you told me I was song lyrics and the sky and you told me we would be ok.  

The last time we saw each other we swung, we told stories, we held on.  We tried to fit four months into one weekend.
Did we pull it off?

The last time you saw me I was so many things.  I was up and down and peach and blush and gold.  I was your hands and your eyes and your words.  I was more you than me.

The last time I saw you your eyes looked mixed up, you asked what I meant and I couldn’t tell you.

The last time we saw each other we danced around the truth and danced around the sidewalks.  We got lost in a park and all the alleyways smoldered.  Every moment shimmered.   


No comments:

Post a Comment