Monday, August 19, 2013

Life and Life-like Symptoms

I never feel like I'm busy until I look back a week or two.  Because I fill up my spare moments with reading and surfing and laying in the sun utterly content, time feels slower.  But things re always happening, and there has been no shortage of that for me.
On Monday, our beloved dog Copper left us to frolic in the eternal meadow filled with millions of slow rabbits.
On Tuesday, we got some terrible news.
My cousin, Jeff, had been fighting cancer for a year.  He was better for a little while, but then it got worse again.  Then they found three brain tumors and he had to stop fighting.  He fought long and hard, but it had taken his toll.  He joined Copper and my Grandmother and Arrow and was at peace at last.
In 5 days one of my best friends is coming to visit for a week!  I am so excited to see her, to show someone everything that is ours here.
Today I have a sports physical at 3pm so I can play volleyball and soccer and do track. In 15 days (15 days!) school starts, where has the summer gone?  It seems like only a couple of weeks ago my friends and I were running out of school into the late-may sunshine, and celebrating the fact that we are no longer freshman.  Then the new juniors came out and said, "Speak only when spoken to, sophomores."
I have homework to finish before school even starts and school supplies to buy.
What amazes me the most about all of this is it's not much to brag about, but it's life.  And everyone has a story, a journey they're on and a day that their time is just up.
All these people and things dying around me scared me a little bit.  I was reminded how short and precious life is, how fragile, and at any given moment it could break.  I was afraid that I might die, that I could die any day and have regrets.  So I've stopped.  Having regrets.  And I've realized that this is not my time to die, so I'll be okay.
So I better start enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment